Reply To: Repentance Is the Foundation

Austin Willis
Participant

The first thing that comes to mind when I think about repentance is heart posture. Growing up in a NDMC church somewhat conditioned me to believe that repentance was the same as confession. However, since I have started my own deliverance process I have learned that repentance is far more than just a confession from the lips, but also a softening and yielding of the heart (mainly the will). I’ve also learned that repentance is almost impossible to do without some degree of mind renewal (Romans 12:1-2). This is why I believe good deliverance counseling is vital for anyone pursuing deliverance.

An analogy/illustration that the Lord gave me for repentance and heart posture is one utilizing play dough. The container that the play dough is stored in can be seen as the presence of God or fellowship with God, while the play dough itself can be seen as the heart. As long as the play dough is stored back in its rightful place (the container) it remains soft and pliable. However, the longer it stays out of its container the harder it becomes. I have seen play dough that has been as hard as a rock! Using Ezekiel 36:26-28 the Lord showed me that in his kindness he gives us a whole new heart, one that is tender and responsive-a repentant heart. Nevertheless, it is still our responsibility to steward the new heart that God gave us. I believe repentance in this analogy can be seen as the play dough simply being stored in its container properly each day after it is used.

I encourage anyone who finds this example useful to actually try it for yourselves with real play dough! Get two(2) containers of play dough and take one out of its container, leaving it out to dry while properly keeping the other stored in its container. After a few weeks take note of what you see while meditating/ praying about Ezekiel 36:26-28. I believe it can possibly be a great tool to practically teach young children about repentance!