Reply To: Repentance Is the Foundation

Mark Chase
Keymaster

Hi Steven, in session, I will frequently ask the PRM, “Do you consider yourself to be a good person?” The PRM usually responds with a confident YES. I then ask the PRM to give me the criteria by which she feels that way. She will usually respond with the usual reasons of self-righteousness: “I am a good person because I am generous, I help those in need, I am a good friend, etc., etc.” After I know that the PRM is claiming to be good based on works (she is putting her confidence in her works according to James 2:18 as you quoted above), I then ask, “Well, what does the Bible say about you? Does the Bible say you’re a good person?” At this, the PRM usually responds, “Uhhh, I don’t know.” It is then, that I quote the verse you posted above. I will usually quote Romans 3:10 so the PRM gets it:

As it is written: “There is none righteous, no, not one. (NKJV)

From there, I take the PRM through God’s Absolute Moral Law so that she can see that she has personally broken each of God’s Commandments–even murder. Then I let her know that not only is she not good, but that she is also EVIL:

If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” Luke 11:13 (NIV)

Then, in most cases, the PRM can begin to receive proper repentance.

Thanks for posting Romans 3:10. Awesome Scripture! PM